Inspiring A Generation
The Factory Youth Zone provides a unique safe place for young people aged 8 – 19, up to 25 with additional needs, from across Manchester. With a wealth of sport and creative activities, The Factory currently welcomes almost 1,000 young people each week. Working closely with members to raise their aspirations, The Factory offers a number of targeted provisions to provide additional support to those who need it.
A Worthwhile Cause
The ward in which The Factory is located ranks 2nd worst in England for the effect of long term deprivation on children. Many young people in the surrounding area are vulnerable to poor educational attainment, future worklessness and to developing antisocial or offending behaviour.
In the local area:
- Unemployment is 16.2% (national rate 7.5%)
- 56.2% of children in Harpurhey are living in poverty
- 11% of 16-18 year olds are not in employment, education or training
With a lack of social provision in the area, The Factory aims to provide young people with opportunities to make constructive use of their leisure time, raise their aspirations and choose a positive, independent lifestyle. Facilities include a full-size sports hall with 8m high climbing wall, 3G outdoor sports pitch, dance studio, music and media suites, theatre, arts room, boxing gym, fully equipped fitness suite, sensory room, recreational area and café. Structured evening sessions as well as targeted provisions, enable The Factory to make a positive impact on lives. Programmes include:
- Mentoring: a programme which provides weekly one-to-one support to members of all ages.
- Employability: support into work through a tailored 6 – 8 week programme.
- Young Leaders: a volunteer training programme for 14-18 year olds.
- Challenge to Change: personal development programme for young offenders or those at risk of offending.
- A Level Playing Field: initiative to help ensure young people with additional needs are not socially isolated.
The Factory believes that all children should be able to access the same opportunities, regardless of what disabilities they face. Our skilled staff work hard to remove obstacles to participation and ensure that all the activities on offer at The Factory can be taken up by all members alike.
We are part of OnSide
The Factory is one of a series of youth centres established by OnSide. Using Bolton Lads and Girls Club as a prototype, they set about creating first class provisions for young people across all areas of England.
We are open 7 days a week.
To find out more about the activities we have on offer for our members, visit the activities page.